Menu Contact
Call Us 24/7 For Help
Get Treated Like Family
We care deeply about our clients, and we believe we’re the only law firm you and your family will ever need.

Pursuing Justice For Accident Victims In Indiana

When should I request a police report after an accident?

Car accidents are a pain. Besides the physical damage and potential injury, there's the loss of time and extra paperwork that comes with them. Even a minor fender bender in a parking lot creates a hassle that's outside of your daily routine and, likely, makes you late to your next stop.

You should do three things after an accident:

  • Get the name and contact information of anyone involved.
  • Report the accident to your auto insurance.
  • Request a police report.

Do I really need a police report?

Getting contact information from the other driver should be a quick act, and you can call your insurance company as time permits, but seeking a police report means you'll need to wait at the scene and take more time. It's still a necessary artifact that can solve disputes later on.

There are five main reasons to get a report:

  • It creates a record of the accident, including basic information including driver names, date, and road conditions.
  • The police will record witness and driver contact information, which may be needed later, especially if there is an uncooperative party.
  • Indiana law requires a report for any crash that results in injury or more than $1,000 in damages.
  • While the damage may appear minor, sometimes it costs more than first thought.
  • Similarly, injuries can take time to reveal their full severity.

In any of these cases, the report provides a detailed record of the event for any future developments.

Keep the big picture in mind

Anytime you've been in a car accident, there is a moment of surprise and confusion about the process -- whether there are injuries, severe damages or a few ugly scratches across your paint job. Your judgment is clouded after an accident and it's easy to let daily concerns override the bigger picture.

For any collision, big or small, it's wise to get a police report that records the incident and basic information. You never know what may surface once the moment has passed. You may feel aches and pains the next day, or your body shop may find structural damage that isn't visible to the naked eye.

If you need help with compensation after a car accident, a personal injury attorney can help to determine the right steps to take to make sure that your rights are protected.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Not Sure What To Do Next?

Take The First Step

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Stop the worry and talk to attorney Matt Boulton. His advice is always free, always professional and always sincere.

Boulton Law Group, LLC
405 E. Main St.
Brownsburg, IN 46112

Phone: 317-350-4935
Fax: 317-858-3232
Map & Directions