Indiana State Police are currently working an accident scene on I-70 that resulted in a 9-vehicle pile-up, leaving multiple people with injuries. Fortunately, initial reports indicate that none of the injuries appear to be life-threatening.
According to troopers, the crash occurred on a section of I-70 near Harding Street. And while little is known about the cause at this time, Boulton Law Group has consulted with the Indiana Crash Risk Tool to view the likelihood of an accident near this location during this time of day:
The crash prediction tool rates a person’s likelihood of being in a crash at this section of I-70 and Harding as “Medium.” As represented by the red dots, we can see that there have been prior accidents that involved injury near this location, as well as a number of incidents that were injury-free.
It was also confirmed that the massive pile-up closed the interstate for more than an hour at the 79 mile marker.
Common causes of interstate accidents
While we have yet to learn what caused the most recent high-profile Indiana interstate accident, our firm has investigated a large number of these types of crashes. Some of the more common causes of interstate accidents include:
- Speeding – A large number of interstate crashes involve excessive speed. Unfortunately, high speeds on interstates often mean traumatic injuries and/or deaths. As mentioned above, it appears the victims involved in this crash may have escaped with non-life threatening injuries.
- Distracted driving – One of the leading causes of all vehicle accidents, distracted driving is especially dangerous on interstates where higher speeds mean even less reaction time. Whether it’s a text, phone call, multi-media device, or interaction with passengers, distracted driving needs to stop.
- Failing to use signals – Something seemingly as simple as using a blinker to change lanes can be the difference in safe interstate travels and a crash that leads to traumatic injuries. It is critical that drivers use blinkers (turn signals) when changing lanes, ensuring both brake lights are operational, and having their headlights on at appropriate times.
- Road rage – Indiana has seen a number of high-profile incidents on our interstates that involve road rage. Aggressive driving and inappropriate behavior can quickly escalate into a highly dangerous situation on interstates involving several vehicles.
- Driving under the influence – One of the more obvious dangers to everyone on our interstates is being near a driver who is operating a vehicle while drunk or under the influence of drugs.
Questions about your rights after an interstate accident?
If you or a loved one were involved in an accident on an Indiana interstate, it is important that you understand your rights and have them explained to you by an experienced Indianapolis personal injury lawyer. These accidents typically involve significant property damage and injuries that will require long-term medical treatment.
Attorney Boulton offers interstate accident victims a Zero Fee Guarantee. This means that you will never be charged a consultation fee, and the only time you owe the firm money is after we win your case. We are proud to make this offer so that all of Indiana’s accident victims have an equal right to award-winning legal representation.
To speak to attorney Boulton now call 317-350-2680, or you can write to us with your questions and the details of your potential case by using our confidential contact form.
Attorney Matt Boulton is an award-winning personal injury attorney with more than 20 years of experience helping seriously injured people throughout Indiana reclaim what was taken from them. His firm was created for for the client who expects exceptional service and passionate, successful legal representation.