Every intersection has the potential to be dangerous: someone runs a red light, a distracted driver rear-ends the vehicle in front of them, someone else makes an illegal turn… the list is large.
And having investigated intersection-related car accidents for 20+ years, attorney Matt Boulton has, unfortunately, seen a wide variety of injuries caused by these types of crashes.
However, some intersections report a significantly higher number of collisions when compared to others. When these patterns emerge the immediate question becomes, “What’s going on here?”
A 2019 safety study released by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (IMPO) identified twenty-four (24) intersections with a documented history of severe car crashes based on 2012-2018 police report data that included a series of factors, such as incapacitating or fatal injuries to one or more of the accident victims.
(Five (5) of the locations were chosen to also focus on pedestrian and/or bicycle crash locations. Those locations are denoted by an asterisk (*) below.)
In addition to listing each location, the IMPO report also contains a number of “existing conditions” and “proposed improvements” for each intersection.
As of this blog’s writing, Boulton Law Group has been unable to obtain an update regarding which recommendations and countermeasures were pursued at the various Indianapolis intersections and which were not, however, we list each location below.
High-Crash Indianapolis Intersections
- 10th Street at Girls School Road
- 24th Street at Keystone Avenue
- 38th Street at Commercial Drive/Industrial Boulevard
- *38th Street at Franklin Road
- *38th Street at High School Road
- 46th Street at Shadeland Avenue
- 116th Street at Olio Road
- 146th Street at Carey Road
- 146th Street at Gray Road
- 146th Street at Hazel Dell Parkway
- 146th Street at River Road
- Averitt Road (CR 100W) at Smith Valley Road
- CR 100N (10th Street) at Raceway Road
- CR 300N at Franklin Street/Fortville
- Pike Mount Comfort Road (CR 600W) at CR600N
- Crawfordsville Road at Cunningham Road/Parkwood Drive
- Elmwood Avenue at Emerson Avenue
- Emerson Avenue at Victory Drive
- Main Street (CR 950N) at Sheek Road/South Park Boulevard
- *New York Street at University Boulevard
- Northfield Drive at Green Street
- *Ohio Street at Pennsylvania Street
- Rural Street at Washington Street
- *South Street/Fletcher Avenue at Virginia Avenue and East Street
Common Intersection Dangers
Whether controlled by a traffic signal or stop sign, every Indianapolis intersection has the potential to be the site of a serious auto accident resulting in personal injury.
After reviewing a number of Indiana accident reports and reconstructing crash sequences on behalf of his clients, Matt has identified a number of common traffic dangers related to intersections, including:
- Disregarding (running) a traffic signal or stop sign.
- Failing to yield at a traffic signal or stop sign.
- Excessive speed.
- Rear-end crashes caused by distracted driving, following too closely, speed, mechanical failure, poor weather conditions, etc.
- Traffic signal malfunctions caused by poor weather or failed technology.
- Driving under the influence, e.g., alcohol or drugs.
Intersection accidents involving more than one vehicle will require an investigation to help determine liability. In other words, how much fault should be assigned to each of the drivers involved in the collision?
Accident reports will often contain enough information for your attorney to help establish liability, however, it is also possible that an officer’s findings can be challenged based on conflicting evidence.
If you were injured in a car accident that occurred at an Indianapolis intersection, we recommend that you contact an experienced Indianapolis accident attorney to review your potential claim and discuss your rights under Indiana law.
About Boulton Law Group
Attorney Matt Boulton founded the Boulton Law Group to provide Hoosiers custom solutions for their personal injury cases. Matt’s success and unique approach to customer service has earned positive reviews from clients and legal peers alike.
If you or a loved one have questions about an intersection-related traffic accident, Matt’s Zero Fee Guarantee promises you a free and friendly consultation. The only time Boulton Law Group receives payment is after we make a recovery on behalf of our clients.
To speak with Matt today, contact him direct at 317-350-2680 or write to him with your story by using the firm’s confidential contact form. Matt personally reviews every web contact sent to the firm.
Attorney Matt Boulton is an award-winning personal injury attorney with more than 20 years of experience helping seriously injured people throughout Indiana reclaim what was taken from them. His firm was created for for the client who expects exceptional service and passionate, successful legal representation.